A victim's plea.

 


Torn is my heart and so is my flesh

They left nothing of me but frayed shreds.

In desperate plight I cried for aid

You offered help with law and blade.

You unveiled their guise, pried off their mask,

But left me bereft, abandoned and lost.

Lend me a hand, up, off the floor

I am left to drown - too far from shore.

Alone was I then and alone am I now

Torn from society - just like before.

Theresa.V

This week a few of my friends and I created and circulated a survey that asked people if they were ever sexually harassed(physically, verbally or via. the internet). We had only circulated it to our circle of known people: friends, all our collegemates, relatives - people we saw on a daily basis. We didn't collect any 'id' or information - ensuring that their responses were anonymous so they would be more comfortable sharing. 

And the results were harrowing! Over 45% of our responders had experienced sexual harassment in some form or the other. To put that into perspective for you: 2 out of every 5 people have been harassed. Most of them were female and about 90% knew their harasser. All of them said that their prime need at the time was someone to talk to - someone to share this with. This got me thinking of how much we don't want to report things. How much we choose to sweep under the carpet. 

I wanted to bring this to light. To let more people know the importance of 'listening' and providing nothing but your presence, comfort and ears (without a hint of judgement or blame - even if we think they need some advice - there will be time for that later). I tried my best to put their thoughts to words, the amount of seclusion and abandonment they feel.
I hope this brings to light the importance of listening and if you are one that relates to this poem, I am so sorry that you have felt this way. It was never your fault to begin with and I hope that you are able to heal in time. Stay safe.

๐ŸคTess


Comments

  1. Well Curated and elegantly expressed.๐Ÿ‘ŒQuite many of these facts resound with global statistics. This goes to show how many people face this plight! Hope we can be approachable, and help each other out by being a confidant, comforter and a pair of listening ears to those in need, before being resourceful doing what may sound responsible and . ๐Ÿฅน๐Ÿ‘‚๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’ช

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! and I'm sorry I didn't get back to this comment sooner. The numbers are truly is heartbreaking to see - aren't they? But we can make things better - one step at a time, one conversation after another and one learning after another. I'm really glad this poem moved you - hope we all change and in the long run...change the current state of the world.

      ๐Ÿค Tess

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to life