Finding solace

 

I recently understood what it means to "feel" God's presence. I also realized that we have to actually "choose" to accept or feel his love. To many this might be obvious - and to be honest I thought I knew this too. But I realize that until now I hadn't really realized how simple this could be.

I fell sick during the past week and was feeling quite down and alone. Since I'm away from home I had to take care of myself - and while my friends were ready to help, there's something about 'home' that just can't be substituted. 

To distract myself, I put on some worship music and pictured myself as the person singing the hymn. And suddenly - it wasn't so bad anymore. I felt hugged, felt like I wasn't alone anymore, felt loved. And I was surprised, honestly - I didn't expect to feel anything. But here I was feeling something that I can only describe as 'comfort'. This taught me two main lessons:

  1. Whatever is going on - God sees you and is waiting to give you comfort. He is literally just standing beside you, waiting for you to allow him to help you.
  2. Accept his comfort - it can be difficult to let go of what you are feeling and redirect your thoughts, but the reward if you do is HIS LOVE (which can do so much more than one can imagine).
Finding peace and solace can be as simple as smiling up at the sun and thinking that the warmth is God's hand on your cheek or just putting on music and imagining yourself and God swaying to the beat - while you speak the words (lyrics) to him. I feel like sometimes, its the simplest prayers that mean the most. We just have to remember to communicate.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to life